This is what I received over the weekend. Seems innocent but later on further digging revealed much more than meets the eye.
This seems to be an attempt to curtail a certain group of chess players in Central Region of Kenya who have been extremely successful at organising various chess events which are huge by our standards. Apparently an event at Baricho High School in Nyeri attracted a total of 261 players. Unfortunately there is no way for us to verify any information at the moment.
Please be informed that Chess Kenya (CK) is yet to sanction any juniors chess event and that any organizer wishing to organize a sanctioned Juniors event must provide the following details in his request for approval to CK.
1. Name and telephone number of organizer
2. In case it is a club it must be registered by CK
3. Name and type of tournament(whether rapid, classical ..etc)
4. Prize Fund which must be deposited to CK before-hand
5. Entry fee which must not exceed Kshs 300
6. Chief Arbiter of the event must be nominated or approved by Chess Kenya.
In return, CK will have the event rated and assist in publicizing it.
We also take this opportunity to remind/appeal to everyone who is not yet a member to pay CK membership fee of Kshs 1200/= to Chess Kenya Account No. 01134162629300, Co-operative Bank of Kenya, Upper Hill Branch. or through M-Pesa pay-bill number 817300.
Chess Kenya urgently needs your support to be able to run effectively and to cater for the administrative costs..